Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System Review
Best Basketball Hoops Rating
Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System: (8.5 / 10)
- Has an Arena Slam Heavy Duty steel rim
- Stays in place using a 40 gallon tank that can be filled with either sand or water
- Height on the Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System can be adjusted from 7.5 feet to 10 feet using a screw jack lift system
- 60 Inch backboard made from acrylic material
The Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System finds itself marketed as a solid middle priced portable unit between the less expensive Spalding Pro Slam and the premium Spalding The Beast Basketball Hoop. This is a really nice choice for anyone who wants to have a high quality portable hoop for their home but does not have +$1000 to spend on a system. We would recommend this hoop for those who take the game seriously or for families who have a child who is into the game and wants to take their interest to the next level.
At this middle level price you will find that the Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System has a mix of higher end features with some other cheaper materials as well. On the higher end side this hoop does feature a professional performing rim that has a quality breakaway mechanism so that it can take on dunks and other rough play. It also has the added bonus of padding that lines the bottom of the backboard which enhances safety. Another safety feature found only on high end portable systems is the pole guard that helps to keep players from running into the pole and base. On the flip side, here are some features of the hoop that tend to be found on cheaper units. The Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System has a 3 piece pole and support system. This is generally the least stable design on portable basketball hoops. Two piece poles are generally more secure, and one-piece poles are the most stable and are featured on the highest quality premium hoops. The acrylic backboard is better than the polycarbonate found on the cheapest basketball systems, but does not perform at the level seen from basketball hoops that have a tempered glass backboard. With an acrylic backboard this system will have some mild shaking when the basketball hits the rim or backboard, but it will still be superior to most portable basketball systems out there.
If you purchase this basketball hoop be prepared to find a friend or adult family member to help you with the assembly process. This will generally take somewhere between 3-5 hours depending on your assembly experience and assuming things go smoothly.
What We Like About This Hoop
- Pro Style Arena Slam Rim which allows for moderate dunking (we still would not recommend hanging on this rim as over a long period of time it could cause warping and damage).
- The backboard padding and pole guard are a plus so that you can feel confident about the safety of the Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball Hoop
- Two support braces align the back of the backboard which do work to minimize shaking and enhances stability
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- The three piece support pole design leaves this hoop susceptible to shaking. If you want a hoop with a two or one piece system be prepared to spend more money.
- The base can hold up to a solid 40 gallons, however, we have never seen a base that is too big. Making this a 50 gallon base would only work to keep the Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball System more stable and less likely to tip.
Overall, the Spalding 60 Inch Portable Basketball Hoop is a wise investment that should last many years when used responsibly. While the hoop does have some features that leave a little to be desired, at it’s price point it performs quite nicely. If you are able to spend more and want a hoop at the next level we would suggest considering the Spalding The Beast Basketball Hoop.