Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System Review
Best Basketball Hoops Rating
Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System: 8.9/10
- Breakaway rim with double springs that recreates look and feel of indoor quality rim
- Features a 2′ offset from the backboard to the support pole offering space for reverse layups
- Comes with a ground sleeve anchor system which makes installation easier than other in-ground systems
- 60″ tempered glass backboard that features aluminum trim to keep the board intact and performing optimally
- U-Turn Lift setup to allow for the most minute height adjustments
Spalding has been a leader in the game of basketball for many decades and continues to set a course which many other basketball brands follow. They arguably offer the greatest variety of basketball hoops at different price points, features, and quality. The Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System is a mid-priced hoop that finds itself positioned between less expensive portable hoops like the Pro Slam and higher-end in-ground systems like the Spalding 888 system. So, if you want to take a step up from some of the more common value hoops but may not have the budget for a hoop that will set you back one or two grand, then the Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System is likely to be right up your alley.
The value of this hoop cannot be understated. It features a 60″ tempered glass backboard while keeping a price point under $600, a rare feat in the basketball hoop market. Tempered glass offers the best rebounding experience when compared to backboards made of acrylic or polycarbonate. The backboard also has a better more supportive design than what is more commonly seen with lower priced hoops. The rim that comes with this hoop is also a step up from other systems and is more capable of handling dunks and competitive game play. Installation of this hoop is made more simple with the ground sleeve anchor system that is included with this hoop.
We see the Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System as a good entry into the premium hoop game without some of the bells and whistles that are included with more expensive systems. Most notably, this hoop comes with no padding on either the support pole or the backboard. While the 2″ offset from the backboard to pole does help to keep players from getting injured, it may be worthwhile to invest in a pole pad if you decide to purchase this hoop.
What We Like About This Hoop
- One of the best values if you are specifically looking for a backboard that is made of tempered glass. The performance of this backboard off of rebounds will blow away other boards made of acrylic and polycarbonate
- Two vertical steel supports make sure the hoop is stable and minimizes vibrations
- Breakaway rim is high quality and will impress with it’s performance
- The ground sleeve will save you from any angry out bursts that may scare your neighbors during the installation process
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- While only a concern during intense game situations, the lack of support pole and backboard padding could be an issue for safety conscious buyers
- A 2 foot offset from the backboard to the pole is less than the 4 foot offset seen featured on more premium basketball systems
The Spalding 60″ In-Ground Basketball System is a great value that comes with features not matched by many hoops at its price point. This characteristic is what helped drive our rating of this hoop. We would generally recommend this hoop for families as well as those who are serious about the game of basketball and their budget. For those wanting the features of a higher priced hoop (padding, larger backboard, etc.) we suggest looking into the Goalrilla GLR GS-I and the Spalding Arena View Hoop.