Goalrilla FT In-Ground Basketball Hoop Review
Best Basketball Hoops Rating
- Comes with a tempered glass backboard that is offered in sizes of 54, 60, and 72 inches
- Height of the Goalrilla FT In-Ground Basketball Hoop can be easily adjusted from 7 and a half feet to 10 feet using an efficient crank mechanism
- Anchor bolt installation systems allows you to take this hoop with you if you happen to move
- Pro-style breakaway rim performs up to gym standards and is able to handle dunks with ease
- One-piece square support pole makes the Goalrilla FT one of the most stable in-ground hoops available
- Dual extension arms support the backboard minimizing vibrations during shots
Goalrilla is a serious in-ground basketball hoop brand made for serious basketball players. These in-ground hoops are made with top of the line materials and demand a high price. Goalrilla’s newest in-ground basketball system, the Goalrilla FT, continues this strong reputation and adds some new features to set the FT apart from some of the past models from Goalrilla.
All Goalrilla basketball systems feature tempered glass backboards, and the Goalrilla FT is no different. What is nice about the FT is that it comes in three different backboard size options: 54 inch, 60 inch, and 72 inches.
Which backboard size to select will depend on your specific needs. For those looking for a hoop to fit in a smaller space, we’d recommend the 54 inch backboard version. While smaller, the 54 inch backboard still performs very well and still allows you to practice bank shots.
The 60 and 72 inch versions are best for hoopers that have large spaces and home courts available. For the vast majority of players, you won’t require more than a 60 inch backboard. Only those who require a regulation size backboard on their hoop should opt for the largest backboard option.
The Goalrilla FT features a professional quality breakaway rim. This rim has a heavy-duty spring that is protected by a steel cover for enhanced safety and protection. You can expect the this rim to have gym quality feel and performance.
To top it off this rim is able to handle dunking, which is something you will likely be doing since the hoop can be lowered to 7.5 feet. At that height we can all pretend to be our favorite NBA star.
In my humble opinion, support poles are the most underrated piece of equipment when it comes to recreational basketball hoop quality. Cheap three piece support poles allow for too much vibration during play and don’t stand up to the test of time.
Thankfully, for those looking to pick up the Goalrilla Ft, you are in luck. The Goalrilla FT comes with a one-piece square steel support pole that is powder coated to protect from rusting. One-piece support poles are the best support poles available and are found only on the best in-ground basketball hoops.
With the support pole system comes a bolt anchor system that bolts your hoop to the concrete foundation. This anchor system comes in handy if you ever need to move your hoop as it makes an in-ground basketball system transportable. Simply unscrew the bolts, load up the hoop, and go.
Attaching the support pole to the backboard are two wide angle steel arms. These two arms attach at the horizontal edges of the backboard creating even greater stability than systems that use a more narrow attachment arm design.
As with most recreational basketball systems, the Goalrilla FT’s height can be adjusted from 7.5 to 10 feet. This basketball hoop uses a crank system to adjust the height. Crank height adjustment systems allow you to adjust a system’s height in infinite increments allowing it to meet your specific needs.
What We Like About This Hoop
- Comes in three different backboard sizes to help meet specific needs and budgets
- Single piece support pole offers maximum stability
- Tempered glass backboards are superior to acrylic and polycarbonate options
- Crank height adjustment system makes raising and lowering the hoop easy
- Rim is a heavy-duty breakaway unit with enclosed spring
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- Padding aligning the backboard and support pole would enhance the safety of the Goalrilla FT Basketball Hoop
- 54 Inch backboard option still comes in at around $1,400, making the FT too expensive for some
Goalrilla has done it again with the FT in-ground basketball system. The variety of the backboard sizes coupled with the quality of system makes this one of the best in-ground basketball systems that money can buy.
For those who are set on having backboard and support pole padding, you can purchase this separately.