Best Basketball Hoops Rating
- Comes in two color schemes (black with blue trim or black with green trim/base)
- Height adjustment from 7.5 feet to 10 feet via the Exacta-lift system
- The base can hold up to 39 gallons of water to help keep the hoop stable and upright
- 50″ backboard made of acrylic material to for maximum durability
- Three piece vertical support pole that is round and 3″ in diameter
The Spalding Hercules Portable Basketball Hoop is one of the newer portable basketball systems offered by Spalding. As you may already know, Spalding has been a leader in manufacturing some of the highest quality basketball hoops and basketballs for many years now which has led them to be the official basketball of the NBA. Knowing this we are very excited to give you an in depth rundown of the Hercules basketball hoop including what we like and what could be better about the system. The rim of the Spalding Hercules Portable Basketball Hoop is Pro-Slam style which we have seen before on the Spalding Pro-Slam Basketball Hoop. The Pro-Slam rim does have a breakaway mechanism, but would not be suitable for rough dunking or hanging.
The acrylic backboard is 3.5 mm thick and will have some mild to moderate vibrations when impacted. As we have stated previously, acrylic backboards are generally better than polycarbonate, but do not perform as well as backboards made of tempered glass. The Hercules Basketball Hoop from Spalding has a three-piece support pole that has a 3.5″ diameter. We consider this three-piece support system a weakness as one or two-piece support systems are significantly more sturdy and durable.
The base of this hoop can hold up to 39 gallons of water to keep the Spalding Hercules Basketball System from tipping over. During the Winter months you may want to drain some of the water out to avoid damage from ice expanding in the base. There are two wheels that are attached to the base that can used to help make transportation easier, however, do not expect to be able to move this hoop without first draining the water from the base.
As far as assembly goes, you will most definitely want to have at least two adults working as a team to get this hoop put together. If you have two people working on assembly, then expect this hoop to take anywhere from 3-6 hours to be set up. Be sure to follow the directions closely and not assume you know the next step. If you follow these suggestions assembly should not be too difficult.
What We Like About The Spalding Hercules Portable Basketball Hoop
- We like the relatively large base that can hold up to 39 gallons of water to keep the hoop in place
- The Spalding Hercules Portable Basketball Hoop has some padding that lines the bottom of the backboard which enhances safety
- Comes in two different color scheme choices–one of the only hoops we’ve seen that offers this option
- Acrylic backboard material is superior to polycarbonate
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- Three piece support pole system is less stable than basketball systems that feature one or two-piece support systems
- 50 Inch backboard is smaller than the 54 Inch backboard that is featured on the Spalding Pro-Slam Hoop
Overall, the Spalding Hercules Portable Basketball System is a quality addition to the Spalding basketball hoop lineup. If you are interested in another hoop that has similar features we would suggest you see our review of the Spalding Pro-Slam. However, if you want a hoop that has more features and higher quality materials then consider looking into “The Beast” Basketball Hoop from Spalding.