Best Basketball Hoops Rating
Spalding 68564 Portable Basketball System: (8.2 / 10)
- Three piece support pole with 3.5 inch diameter is rust resistant
- Front cover rebounder feature
- Screw-jack lift system adjusts in height from 7.5 feet to 10 feet
- Arena Slam breakaway rim
- Attaches to 40 gallon plastic base which can be filled with sand or water
- Portable basketball system for easy movement
In the market for a portable basketball system for your driveway or backyard? Finding the right hoop is important so that you have the features you desire at the price you want, along with a product that is made to last depending on your level and frequency of use. Spalding is a manufacturer of hoops that is time-tested and well-respected, and the Spalding 68564 Portable Basketball System is a great option if you are looking for something moderately priced, but a solid addition to your yard or driveway with some great features.
The Spalding 68564 hoop offers an array of solid features for the baller in your life, be they young and beginning, or a veteran of the game; the hoop would be best for those looking to play recreationally and practice drills and shots on a regular basis. It features a large 54 inch acrylic backboard made for frequent play and practice. There is a heavy duty steel frame lining the backboard, giving you extra strength and durability as you go up for layups and slam dunks. Acrylic backboards are a great option for those looking for a quality, strong backboard for bank shots and layups, without the high price of tempered glass; a great middle ground option.
When it comes to adjusting the hoop height, the Spalding 68564 Basketball System makes things pretty easy. Thanks to the Screw Jack lift system, the hoop can raise from 7.5 feet to 10 feet in a smooth, one-handed motion. The hoop can lift in infinite increments making it able to be personalized to the height that works best for the player. It also has a removable handle so that once you have found your desired height, it cannot be tampered with. The Spalding 68564 has a 3 piece, 3.5 inch pole, which is set at a 20 degree angle from the base, with a plastic cover on the front gives you a built in rebounder when you play.
The foundation of the Spalding 68564 Portable Basketball System is one of the larger models on the market, with a 40 gallon plastic base; the large size allows for a sturdy and strong foundation, minimizing shaking that can come with weaker or smaller bases on other models. You can fill the base with water, sand, or a polymer gel product to allow for little movement in your neighborhood basketball games and free throw work. Reviewers of this hoop found the base to be adequate and found it durable enough to withstand cracks and weaknesses in the plastic, where sometimes other hoops do not measure up.
For those players who love to perfect their slam dunk, or even just complete their first one, the Spalding 68564 offers a great platform for such a goal; it features an Arena Slam breakaway rim with solid steel support braces. The smooth spring associated with the rim allows for it to give way when going up for that amazing dunk or layup, and minimizes pressure on the backboard, allowing for a stronger and longer lasting product.
While this hoop has a lot of great points, one thing to consider is assembly. Many reviewers have found the assembly of this hoop to be time-consuming and difficult, with improper instructions or missing pieces. However, other found the hoop easy to assemble and did so with little help or time on their hands. Assembly can vary, but this is just one factor to consider when purchasing the hoop that is best for your lifestyle.
What We Like About This Hoop
- Arena Slam rim minimizes pressure on the backboard
- 54 inch backboard offers great acrylic finish with wide range
- Steel framed backboard provides strong support for vigorous games
- Support pole system is coated with a rust resistant material that helps to keep the hoop lasting longer
- Angled support pole makes tipping less likely
- Extra-large 40 gallon base provides a solid foundation
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- Easier assembly instructions would aide in the time consuming assembly process
- Further cushioning around the backboard would aide in protection when going up for close to the basket shots
- Padding on the support pole could be better