Spalding 79564 Backboard and Rim Combo: (7.25 / 10)
Today the majority of the hoops sold are in ground systems or portable basketball hoops. For those who are looking for a simple rim and backboard unit to attach to a wall or garage the number of options have become more limited. One really solid option if you want a rim and backboard system is the Spalding 79564 Backboard and Rim Combo. It works great for those who have a garage or indoor environment where you want to hang the hoop from. One strength of these systems is the simplistic assembly compared to portable and in ground systems.
The Spalding Backboard and Rim Combo has a great number of features that make it a great option for your home. The system has a medium sized backboard of 54 inches, which is made of acrylic. Acrylic is a nice middle of the road material that is higher quality than polycarbonate, and not as expensive as tempered glass. The bottom of the backboard is aligned with padding that will protect any players who go up for a layup or dunk. Another feature of this hoop is the arena slam breakaway rim. This rim has a covered spring mechanism that allows for breakaway flexibility when dunking. On the rim there is an all-weather net so that outside it will not wear down due to the elements.
One thing that we really like about wall-mounted hoops is that they tend to provide strong backboard support so that rebounds come off with velocity unlike some portable basketball systems. With the Spalding 79564 Backboard and Rim Combo this reputation for strong backboard performance continues. This system comes ready to be mounted to an existing pole, but will require a wall-mount bracket if you are going to hang it from a wall.
What We Like About This Hoop
- Because it is comes without the base or pole it is a cheaper hoop option
- The rim is top notch and has a good breakaway mechanism
- Backboard padding offers enhanced safety
- Spalding is the official basketball provider of the NBA and this hoop features the NBA logo on the backboard
What Would Make This Hoop Better
- It would be nice if the wall-mount hardware came with the hoop
- May be better off going with an all-in-one in ground system if you are going to install a support pole
- Acrylic backboard may not have desired performance for those wanting top quality tempered glass
The Spalding 79564 Backboard and Rim Combo is a great option for those with a garage or other building to mount the hoop to. If you want a similar quality Spalding hoop that is portable then we suggest the Spalding 60″ Portable Basketball System, and for in ground the Spalding 60″ In Ground Basketball System.